Tuesday 8 September 2009

Day 0: Prologue

A year has gone by. My internship in Norwich is complete. I’m writing this from Southampton. And I’m leaving the country on Thursday night. What’s going on?

The Father indicated clearly that He was letting me choose what to do after FP. I found this... well; I once spent 20 minutes in Tesco’s trying to choose a sandwich. But I’ve managed to stop being so negative, and realise how great this is: He wants me to do what I want to do. Back in March the opportunity came up to go to Uganda. I found out some more, and even met the guy I’d be staying with. But strangely, I just got increasingly nervous about the whole thing. I got to worrying I’d be friendless, uncomfortable, and redundant in an alien culture – that it would be 3 months of misery. Jesus challenged me about this: ‘Are you going to drop this just because it’s hard? And don’t you think I’m going to love you in some great ways that make it totally worthwhile?’

So I’m going. I’m still a bit nervous, of all the practical and cultural difficulties I already know to expect, and also, because I have no idea what I’m going to end up doing when I get there. “Come and work it out when you get here. You can’t really arrange anything before,” Emmanuel told me. That’s the Ugandan way. All I know if, I’ll be living in a Ugandan household in Kampala (the capital), and helping out some churches in some way (pretty similar to FP, really!) And I’ll probably be back in the UK for Christmas, returning to Norwich in the New Year. To be honest, I’m not really thinking about that stuff much at the moment! But in my head and my will I am really looking forward to whatever amazing things Jesus does with me. He is the one who gives me joy, and this seems the best way to know Him better. I’d be a fool to turn this down.

No comments:

Post a Comment