Monday 1 March 2010

Happy Birthday

I'm travelling back in time;
Songs from seventeen
The land of nine
Sweeping fields to the sky, the sea.
Old names and faces
Round some corner from new
Through changing places
Will I find you?
There's laughter ringing through my ears
But newsprint in my eyes
I see the way ahead is rich
But I want to be surprised.
I remember - you love secrets
Telling stories page by page.
Wind up my reading eagerness
More with every age.

On my first night at Uni, Tabs said to me, 'these are going to be the best years of our lives.' I think I said, 'I kind of think every year should be better than the year before.' Not easier, but better. A bigger canvas. Higher stakes. Knowing Jesus more. Just feeling happy. Since 18, I think it's been true.

18th – SNOW! (in Southampton) Cell group – epic snowball fight on the rec. Escaping to the Wye valley. Standing over the M4 and taking a deep breath.

19th – I can't remember this for some reason. Think it was one of those years.

20th – At home, parents organized a surprise party while I was still in the house. One by one, friends materialised, until I twigged what was going on…

21st – New Jars of Clay queuing Regent Street for Chinese Embassy. Bacon and sausage roll. Pedro's sombreros & chilli beef stacked with the Wolfson gang.

22nd – Cape Town. Relaxed workshop, eating out, skyping home.

23rd – Leading worship, Bedford. Not telling anyone, then surprise drinks in my honour.

24th – Traversing wind chill swamp Essex Suffolk border with two staunch companions. Slipping on the mud. Frinton on sea: Grandparents, the best bookshop in the world, sunset beach and greensward. Singing worship out there for an hour. God has been good to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment