Wednesday 20 October 2010

Pt 1. The Magic Bullet

I once read that the best writing happens not when the writer is trying to get across something they’re already sure about, but when the writer writes in order to try and figure it out. I think this will be a bit of both. It'll be a few posts though.

Back in January, I went to a work meeting that ended in a great time of praying together. I suddenly felt really strongly for one of the other guys, for his confidence and his ability to relate to people, and prayed for him with a lot of oomph that God would crack stuff in him there & then (surely he meant to do what he provoked me to ask?). After the meeting the guy gave me a lift, and honestly, I felt like ‘nothing has happened. At all.’

I took this up with God as I walked the last bit home. I did that dangerous thing where you start making excuses for him, rather than waiting to listen what his actual answer is.

I said, “okay, fair enough God, maybe it’s not like a magic bullet, maybe it doesn’t work just like that.” And then God spoke up.

“Remind me, Tim, how does the ‘magic bullet’ work?”

For those of you unfortunates who didn’t get to study ‘medicine through time’ at GCSE, I offer this explanation. The ‘magic bullet’ is the nickname of penicillin, the drug which forms the basis of all antibiotics. Until penicillin was discovered (less than 100 years ago.. and by accident. I wonder..) there was nothing you could do to actually kill diseases. All you could do was make the conditions as good as possible for the body to fight the disease itself (drink lots of orange juice, get an early night, yadda yadda yadda...)

Here’s God’s point: even the ‘magic bullet’ takes time to work. So why shouldn’t he?

No comments:

Post a Comment