Wednesday 24 November 2010

Shirley Towers

We met at 22.
He said, “I’ll never leave you.”
Oh, he actually said those stupid words to me.
But I was in love;
I opened myself up to all of the punishments the years have laid on me.
I felt like a bride on her wedding march:
my body confetti in his hands.
He begged me and I couldn’t bear the sight.
One more girl self-sacrificed to one more careless man.

It started at nights when I couldn’t read his eyes.
He had so many great ideas that I couldn’t see.
His jokes turned to black at the rate I grew fat.
I made all of the conversation every night at tea.
I thought that the baby would make him change;
he held it and looked so full of love.
We laughed and threw parties with friends again.
So how could he take one bag and never ring me up?

I did everything you asked me to.
I gave everything I had to you.

He waited just long enough for Sam and I to miss him. This double bed is cold.
I used to tread fingers along his side-
am I just impossible to have and to hold?

Tim had to strain to write this song.
It’s not his life – he’s probably got it wrong.
He’s sod-all hope of helping out.
But he’s found a Lord who’s felt all this before.
Jesus is the only one who will help, and can.

I gave everything I had for you.



Christmas is for life, not just for Christmas. The new album: www.myspace.com/thescatcat

No comments:

Post a Comment