Saturday 18 December 2010

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet (Pt 1)

The other morning I was spending some time with Jesus and I caught a thought in flight. I peeled open my hand to have a look. This is what I saw: ‘You won’t experience anything this morning that you haven’t experienced before.’

Have you ever had a thought like that? If you consider it, it’s not actually very logical.

Over breakfast today, me and my housemate were wondering what a Baby thinks the first time he sneezes. Probably not ‘my head just exploded’, because it won’t yet have seen many Bruce Willis films to learn about explosions. Without the words to put it this way, what goes through his head is more like, ‘Ah! A thing just happened!

Now if you’d asked the baby a minute before if he was expecting to sneeze, he probably wouldn’t understand English yet. But the answer would be ‘no’. And new things will continue to happen to that baby throughout his life – some he’s seen happen to other people, others he’s only heard about, others he’s had no preparation for at all. But as he grows up, he will learn experientially that new ‘things will happen’.

So why not let’s apply that logic to spiritual reality and experience? Whatever you believe about spiritual reality, it’s probably a little reductive at best. There are more things that we are yet to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment