Saturday 26 March 2011

Ouch poems

I'm continuing my homage to/theft of Steve Turner. Tonight, another of my favourite categories of his poems. Poems that make me go 'ouch'. Let me show you what I mean:
gg
The God Letters
The Lord God says:
'Share your bread
with the hungry,
bring the homeless poor
into your house,
cover the naked.'
gg
Dear Lord God,
We have got
new carpets,
so this will
not be possible.
gg
gg
See what I mean? Try getting through this one, without an ouch:
gg
Lord, Lord
You were hungry
and I was sorry.
You were thirsty
and I blamed the world.
You were a stranger
and I pointed you out.
You were naked
and I turned you in.
You were sick
and I said a prayer.
You were in prison
and I wrote a poem.
gg
gg
How many of those have you done? I count 5 for sure. The naked guy at the crossroads in Jinja wasn't just short of clothes, and I don't think trying to turn him in would have been a good idea, but still...
gg
On several occasions I've pointed out one lady who sleeps rough in Norwich as a way to look smart. It is very easy to let caring become just my job. Or, realistically, to carry on working and stop caring. Not that my feelings matter. But when I stop caring I stop trying to actually help people and just try to run a tight ship. That could keep me busy my whole life. God forbid. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment