Wednesday 23 March 2011

Short poems

I was weak last tuesday night and slipped into the amazon. I emerged an hour later having bought 5 books and 2 CDs. That's the cosumerist trap I'm stuck in. Ah well, it does have some advantages: I finally bought a book of poems by Steve Turner and I'm loving it. He's like my favourite bits of Brecht and Blake, with an even more similar worldview. Let me share some of my favourites.
gg
Tonight: short poems.
gg
Short poem
Short poems
are fun.
You can see
at a glance
whether you
like them
or not.
gg
gg
Depression
Came here
to write
a poem
on depression
but
gg
got fed up
and left.
gg
gg
Sticks and stones
Sticks and stones
only break your bones
but words
can tear your heart out.
gg
gg
History Lesson
History repeats itself.
Has to.
No one listens.
gg
gg
Gun
What is a gun for?
A gun is for making things.
What does it make?
Orphans, widows,
grief...
gg
gg
Wait
These are
the good
old days.
gg
Just wait
and see.
gg
gg
Truth
There's no
such thing
as truth.
gg
No.
Not even
this.
gg
gg
Prayer
Fell fast asleep
While saying a prayer.
When I woke up
Found God was still there.

1 comment: