Saturday 19 June 2010

Hello hurricane

"Everything I have I count as lost
Everything I have is stripped away
Before I started building I counted up these costs
There's nothing left for you to take away."
cv
This one is basically the secret of living freedom. It's that thing about expectations - when you expect Indiana Jones IV to be good, you leave the cinema feeling personally cheated. When I went having heard every damning review, I had a great time. The film was the same. But it didn't get me down, because I had realistic expectations. Similarly, I enjoy watching England play at the world cup, because I know they're going to mess it all up.
er
When I said 'yes' to Jesus, I knew I was saying 'yes' to a lot of trouble. I didn't know how it would all feel, but like when I had my bags stolen on the way to Entebbe airport, I am able to say 'of course. I knew this was coming. And it's ok.' Because it also reminds me of the reason I made such a mental commitment - the living God called me; Jesus, gracious and compassionate, abounding in steadfast loving kindness, repaying injustice to the 4th generation, and forgiving to the thousandth. All trouble can do it take me away from my hollow comfort in this world and remind me how great he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment