Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Ideas of the Dawn Treader #1

I just got back from The Voyage of the ‘Dawn Treader’. Now I can’t sleep. I enjoyed the film; it was a good adaptation of the story that translated the theme of the book well into a more effective story structure. Obviously you miss out on some of CS Lewis’ way with words, and get some clunky moments where the ideas outpace the writer’s ability to express them, but I can live with that. Because some of the ideas that we handled well touched me deeply and it took until the credits ran out to savour it, wipe my tears away and reengaged with my family around me.

SPOILER WARNING – the following three pieces all unravel the plot in some detail. If you’re considering watching the film, go do that now, then come back.

Idea #1 - Self Esteem

Lucy is struggling with her self esteem. Specifically, she longs to look like her older sister, because of them admiration and attention Susan gets. Lucy discovers a spell that promises to make her look like Susan. She tries it, and in a dream finds herself as Susan at a garden party, looking beautiful and getting admiration. However, she discovers that in this alternative reality the person Lucy does not exist. Suddenly the experience doesn’t feel so good.
efwefw
Aslan appears to her, and challenges her she is wishing herself away. He affirms her, pointing out some of her unique qualities and contributions to Narnia. She burns the spell. Later, a younger girl wishes to be just like Lucy when she grows up. Lucy tells her no. ‘When you grow up you should be just like yourself.’

Although this is presented as a teenage girl’s struggle, I massively identify with it. I spent much of my GCSE revision period fantasising about living a different life, being somebody else, and I’ve done so plenty of other times too. I’ve also had plenty of other symptoms of low self esteem – constantly seeking approval from others then not believing it if I get it; isolating myself; assuming I am unlovable, an irritant or a burden.

I’d never considered that this sort of fantasising is linked with a struggle for self esteem, or that it is ‘wishing my life away’, but it makes total sense. Very helpful.

The challenge is to be convicted of the truth that I really am admirable, that I really would be missed if I disappeared, that the world would be worse off without me. I believe this a lot more than I ever have, because I have been well loved, and well supported to consider this issue in my life. But, as tonight demonstrates, I am going to continue to need revelations of my value.

Of course, part of the reason we long to be like others is that they are ahead of us on their journey – they are more themselves, and so more admirable for what they are. We cannot see the finer version of ourselves we will become, and so its harder to even navigate towards that, let alone be energised by it. Perhaps there is only one way.
rrr
As I watched Lucy run to Aslan and hold him, I felt richly that one like Aslan sees me, knows me, and delights in me. Oh how good that is for your heart. I need it desperately. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment