Saturday 8 January 2011

The Ideas of the Dawn Treader #2

SPOILER WARNING – these three pieces all unravel the plot in some detail. If you’re considering watching the film, go do that now, then come back.
dhh
Idea #2 – Manhood

Edmund is doing everything he can to be ‘a real man’. He tries enlisting in the British Army, does a bit of sword fighting, considers hoarding gold, tries to be the leader; and nothing works. He is still plagued by the memory of the White Witch and her offer to make him King.
hghfh
Ultimately, their adventure puts him to the test and he fights an epic battle with a sea monster. He survives, and finally feels that internal sense of ‘I have what it takes’; he doesn’t need Narnia anymore.

I know the idea that there is a ‘crisis of manhood’ about at the moment in our culture. I’m not equipped to say whether that’s true or not. However it does occur to me that boys growing up have always faced this identity crisis, and always will. ‘Am I a real man?’

I’m still going through this process. I often feel out of my depth in my job, leading many people who are older than me, maturer than me, with fuller life experience than me; or all the above. And that not only involves setting direction and encouraging people forward; leading also requires saying ‘no’, challenging and correcting. Gulp. I often don’t know what’s the right decision myself, let alone imposing that on others. It’s what the job requires, I’m happy on that. The question is, can I do it?

The funny thing is, my position is a something I clutch at to affirm my manhood. I love telling people what I do. I’m dead impressed with myself. But clearly, my job title isn’t doing the trick. If I don’t find another source of affirmation, it’s going to make me feel less a man rather than more.

Edmund’s perspective is changed by a rite of passage. This is not a very new idea. Cultures throughout history from Aborigines to University Hockey teams have put their young men through hell and back to establish their manhood. Perhaps we struggle in our society with our sense of manhood because there is no standard system for it. Or many opportunities to prove it full stop. I feel really ‘mannned up’ every time I go to Africa, with all the adventures and difficulties that involves.

Now, I don’t think its essential to duel with a sea monster to establish your credentials. But as we face up to the challenges that life throws our way, we will make the journey. And the more challenges we take on, the more we will ‘man up’.

However, this raises another tough question. How do I know I won’t fail at these challenges?

Donald Miller in his excellent book To Own a Dragon reveals the surprising true indicator of what makes a ‘real man’. According to him, a real man is someone... who has a penis. That’s it. You don’t have to like football or beer or fighting or facial hair. You don’t have to listen to Mark Driscoll or earn lots of money or be in charge of anything. If you’re reading this and you’ve got man bits, you’re the real McCoy. Because the one who gave you your wedding tackle didn’t forget the rest of the package. He made you a man. You’ve got what it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment