Saturday 15 January 2011

Trying to write a praise song

A confession. In spite of all my 'too cool for school' attitude, I've actually wanted for a long time to write a praise song. That other people will sing. As a songwriter, you probably can't top that for good feedback.

However, although it is very easy to write a bad praise song (I know from personal experience), it is hard to write a decent one. And judging from most of what we wade through in church meetings, to write a really good one is very hard indeed.

This morning I managed to put words together for a song I’ve had hanging around for a number of months. I’ve got another I did recently as well. They’re probably the best bashes I’ve had at the praise song form. So that’s quite exciting.

I’d love to know what you think of them. Chiefly, would they help you praise Jesus? Is there any phrasing, ideas, approach that would get in the way of that? Obviously I’d hope there’s something beneficial in there, but I would like to get better so do point out any problems you can see!

Unfortunately I can’t give you an idea of the tune and accompaniment on here. Just imagine that it’s really good. Maybe I’ll play them to you sometime.

‘Cast your cares onto Jesus’
Cast your cares onto Jesus; he cares for you. (x2)
I’ll cast my cares on you Jesus; you care for me.

Don’t worry what you’ll eat or drink.
Don’t worry what you’ll wear or look like.
Don’t worry about tomorrow now;
Jesus Christ knows what you need.

If you thirst, come to Jesus and have a drink. (x2)
You’ll overflow living water from within.

Don’t worry about your pension plan.
Don’t worry how your life will turn out.
Don’t worry about tomorrow now;
Jesus Christ knows what you need.

If the birds don’t save, yet they never miss a meal;
If the flowers don’t need make up to appeal;
Then giving Jesus all your life, he’ll give it back a hundred times.
Just try.

If you’re weary come to Jesus, he’ll give you rest. (x2)
His work is easy ‘cause he carries all the cares.

Don’t worry you can’t do this job.
Don’t worry that no one will like you.
Don’t worry you’re not good enough;
Jesus Christ is all you need.

If the birds are unwaged, yet they never miss a meal;
If the flowers don’t need fashion to appeal;
If God would send his son to die;
Then what on earth would he deny to us?

Cast your cares onto Jesus; he cares for you. (x2)

No comments:

Post a Comment